Step onboard a universe awash with astounding contrasts. In this invented space, between two water worlds … float away.
Anchored at the Quays of the Old Port of Montreal, Quebec, Bota Bota, spa-sur-l’eau offers guests the healing benefits of spa coupled with the natural lulling movements of the St. Lawrence River.
Bota Bota began its life on the water in the ’50s and ’60s as a ferryboat between Sorel and Berthier, Quebec, followed by a stint as a Richelieu River showboat.
The storied ship was then completely transformed into a spa that opened its doors in 2010, settling into a more serene yet glamorous existence since then.
Bota Bota is comprised of five decks each with a spa installation: saunas with incredible views, steam rooms, outdoor whirlpool baths, cold showers and baths, and relaxation areas.
Advantages of each stage of the water circuit:
Step 1: Hot
Duration: 10 – 15 minutes
Installations: saunas, steam baths
– Opening of pores with heat and sweat helps to eliminate impurities and toxins.
– Dilation of blood vessels helps maintain low blood pressure and relieves muscle aches and soreness.
– The state of “artificial fever” created by heat leads to increased production of white blood cells and antibodies for immune defence.
Step 2: Cold
Duration: 15 – 60 seconds full immersion (head included)
Installations: cold baths, cold showers, access to the river
– Accelerated heart rate under the action of cold water results in increased strength and amplitude of heartbeat, and improved blood flow.
– Closing of pores Improves the elasticity and therefore the appearance of the skin while preventing other impurities from entering the skin whose pores have been previously dilated.
Step 3: Relax
Duration: 20 – 30 minutes
Installations: relaxation areas, hanging hammocks, terraces
– Following the hot and cold stages which cause a kind of shock, comes an indescribable sensation of intense relaxation – otherwise known as the “buzz.” Lie down, close your eyes and enjoy this calming sensory journey.
– When the body starts to regain normal temperature and the heart rate stabilizes, endorphin hormones are produced, reducing stress and promoting sleep.
In addition to the water circuit, guests enjoy massage therapy, body treatments, facial treatments, manicures, pedicures, yoga and meditation surrounded by terraces and gardens.
To complete your day at Bota Bota, be sure to experience their unique restaurant offering a seasonal menu at reasonable prices. The culinary focus favours health, flavours and delicacy, and is continually enhanced with fresh local produce from the surrounding Quebec terroir.
In addition, the restaurant boasts a floating dining room with a breathtaking view of the Old Port of Montreal. Whether dining alone or with a guest, quench your thirst and appetite with their simple and subtle dishes.
Truly a spectacular experience. As one WaySpa reviewer gushes:
Use your WaySpa gift card to book your experience at Bota Bota, spa-sur-l’eau.